The Hardware Store is an event that can be reached with the Wildcard: Flavor Events Neutral Effect from the [The Hardware Store] option of Wildcard: Flavor Events or from the [A card picturing an endless collection of tools.] option in Cards Of Fate. It can also simply be a random event.
This shop contains all of the "Today's Special" items available for purchase in The Engineering Shop. Also, the event also keeps a running count of the number of (non-unique) players that have encountered the event since its introduction in Board Game Online; if the turn player encounters this event and their encounter results in a number that is a multiple of 27, then they receive a free Hammer.
Shop Introduction[edit | edit source]
Shop Interface[edit | edit source]
|The Hardware Store|
|"Would you look at all that stuff!"|
|Item||Price||Description upon purchase|
|Screw||2 Rupees||'When life screws you over, just screw it right back!'|
|Battery||4 Rupees||'Good, now all you need is assault!'|
|Plunger||4 Rupees||'When you use this, your opponent won't be able to... eat it!'|
|Soldering Torch||6 Rupees||'I got this one off eBay!'|
|Duct Tape||8 Rupees||'I knew you were gonna buy this. You were all like 'I Want A New Duct Tape'!'|
|Spanner||8 Rupees||'For all your achy breaky items!'|
|Shovel||9 Rupees||'I dig this purchase!'|
|Generic post-purchase quote|
|Weird Al Yankovic hands you a X. "Go ahead and buy some more! Kapitalism, comrade!"|
|Insufficient funds quote|
|"You're poor like a polka player. Sorry, mister! Drop by later and remember: every 27th customer gets a Hammer free!"|
|You seem to have died at the Hardware Store. Weird Al Yankovic uses his favorite shovel to bury you. "Seems like... another ones rides the bus!"|
|"See ya later, mister! Drop by later and remember: every 27th customer gets a Hammer free!"|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The concept for this store is based on "Weird Al" Yankovic's song, "Hardware Store". This is further supported by the following:
- "Weird Al" Yankovic is referred to as the shopkeep in this event's purchase descriptions.
- One of the lyrics for the song is "Would you look at all that stuff," which can be read when the shop interface is entered.
- The lyrics "There's a great big purple sign out front / That says every 27th customer / Will get a ball-peen hammer free" is referenced by this event awarding a Hammer to every 27th player that encounters this event since its inception.
- This event contains references to other songs of "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- The purchase description for the Soldering Torch is likely a reference to the "Weird Al" Yankovic's song, "eBay".
- The purchase description for the Plunger is likely a reference to the "Weird Al" Yankovic's song, "Eat It".
- The purchase description for the Duct Tape is likely a reference to the "Weird Al" Yankovic's song, "I Want a New Duck".