"Raise an army of the dead by draining souls!"
— Former Specialized Adventuring! Description
Necromancer is a class. It is only available during Expert Mode games.
This class received a major overhaul in Feb. 2017; the previous version can be found here.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Reaper Of Souls grants a Necromancer 1 Soul Power upon reaching 4 Souls in a Scythe.
Passive[edit | edit source]
Master Of Death[edit | edit source]
Tooltip As a Necromancer, you are the Master Of Death. You gain 1 Soul Power every 8 turns. Necromancer skills can be used while dead.
If the Class Talent is active: You can use ALL your Skills while dead.
Soul Power: X
Triggers in Y turn(s).
Effect[edit | edit source]
- You instantly gain 4 Soul Power when you gain this effect. Then, you gain 1 Soul Power every 8 Effects Phases (beginning on the 8th Effects Phase after gaining this effect.)
- The Dead status doesn't prevent you from using Necromancer skills standardly.
- If the Class Talent is active: The Dead status doesn't prevent you from using ANY skill standardly.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This effect does not allow for in-event skill use while Dead unless the use can be done through the inventory.
Skills[edit | edit source]
Drain Soul[edit | edit source]
Standard Use[edit | edit source]
- Target any player.
- If they are alive: Give them 2 turns of the Drain Soul Curse connected to this skill. (You can give this Curse to multiple players and to the same player multiple times simultaneously under different Debuffs.)
- Drain Soul: When you die, the player with the Drain Soul skill connected to this Curse gains 1 Soul Power, also you lose this effect. This effect can stack under different Debuffs and cannot be extended.
- If they are Dead: Nothing occurs besides this skill going on cooldown.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- See Death Tiers for more information on effects like Drain Soul.
- Death Immunity does not block Drain Soul from activating when it blocks a death. However, when Death Immunity blocks a Pacman eat, it isn't technically blocking a kill.
Inherent Effect Tooltip[edit | edit source]
Drain Soul (Curse) Tooltip Your soul is being drained. If you die while under this Curse, PlayerName will steal a part of your soul and gain 1 Soul Power.
Passive Effect[edit | edit source]
- Soul Power is stored in this skill.
- After a Drain Soul Curse connected to this skill activates and wears off, if the player the Curse drained is Dead, this skill's cooldown resets.
- If the Class Talent is active: After a Drain Soul Curse connected to this skill and draining another player activates and wears off, if both you and the player the Curse drained are Dead, you gain 2 extra Soul Power and Soul Speed for 6 turns, and you are revived.
Army Of The Dead[edit | edit source]
|Skeleton||--||2 Soul Power||Knocks a player back 6 spaces.|
|Skeleton Berserker||3 Soul Power||Knocks a player back 6 spaces and makes them Bleed for 3 turns.|
|Skeleton Thief||3 Soul Power||Knocks a player back 6 spaces. Also steals 4 Rupees or a random item.|
|Skeleton Knight||3 Soul Power||Knocks a player back 6 spaces and gives them Defective Dice for 1 turn.|
|Bone Mage||3 Soul Power||Knocks a player back 6 spaces. Also applies Silence for 3 turns.|
|Zombie||--||2 Soul Power||Inflicts a -3 Speed Disease for 2 turns.|
|Burning Abomination||3 Soul Power||Inflicts a -3 Speed Disease for 2 turns. Also has a 50% chance to apply Fire.|
|Perverted Corpse||3 Soul Power||Inflicts a -3 Speed Disease for 2 turns. Also applies a random STD.|
|Rotting Corrupter||3 Soul Power||Inflicts a -3 Speed Disease for 2 turns. Also generates +1 SP if the target is dead.|
|Starving Ghoul||3 Soul Power||Inflicts a -3 Speed Disease for 2 turns. Also eats a Food item.|
|Specter||--||2 Soul Power||Conjures an Ethereal Gem.|
|Chilling Ghost||3 Soul Power||Conjures an Ethereal Gem. Also gives Faerie Frost.|
|Cleansing Spirit||3 Soul Power||Conjures an Ethereal Gem. Also removes a Poison or a Disease.|
|Spectral Cleric||3 Soul Power||Conjures an Ethereal Gem. Also dispels Harmful Magic.|
|Shimmering Soul||3 Soul Power||Conjures an Ethereal Gem. Passively grants Magical Mind and Flow Of Magic.|
Standard Use[edit | edit source]
- Up to 1 Skeleton, 1 Zombie, and 1 Specter (or instead, an upgraded form for each) can be summoned (gained as an Unremovable Buff) at once due to Army Of The Dead. Each basic minion summon costs 2 Soul Power. Each upgraded minion summon costs 3 Soul Power, along with the corresponding basic minion Buff gained due to Army Of The Dead. (You cannot attempt to use 3 Soul Power and an upgraded minion to summon another upgraded minion or attempt to summon an upgraded minion without the corresponding basic minion.) (Any summon attempt with insufficient Soul Power fails and won't cost any Soul Power.) You can unsummon (losing the Buff) a basic minion to gain 1 Soul Power or an upgraded minion to gain 4 Soul Power.
- The tooltips of all the minion Buffs are in the expandable chart above. Note that they all have visible turn counters in their tooltips listing how long until they next trigger. The detailed effects for when they activate in the Effects Phase are as follows:
- Skeleton: A random enemy player is knocked back 6 spaces.
- Skeleton Berserker: A random enemy player is knocked back 6 spaces and is given 3 turns of Bleeding.
- Skeleton Thief: A random enemy player is knocked back 6 spaces. Also, you steal either 4 Rupees or a random item from that enemy.
- Skeleton Knight: A random enemy player is knocked back 6 spaces and is given 1 turn of Temporary Defective Dice.
- Bone Mage: A random enemy player is knocked back 6 spaces and is given 3 turns of Bone Mage Silence.
- Zombie: A random enemy player is given Zombie Infection for 2 turns.
- Burning Abomination: A random enemy player is given Zombie Infection for 2 turns. They also have a 50% chance to gain 1 turn of Fire.
- Perverted Corpse: A random enemy player is given Zombie Infection for 2 turns. They also gain a random STD from the generic STD-givers (2) pool.
- Rotting Corrupter: A random enemy player is given Zombie Infection for 2 turns. If the target is Dead, you gain 1 Soul Power instead.
- Starving Ghoul: A random enemy player is given Zombie Infection for 2 turns. Also, the Ghoul eats a random Food item the target has. (Effectively, the Food item is just removed from the game.)
- Specter: You gain an Ethereal Gem.
- Chilling Ghost: You gain an Ethereal Gem and Faerie Frost.
- Cleansing Spirit: You gain an Ethereal Gem. Also, you lose a random Disease or Poison Debuff if possible.
- Spectral Cleric: You gain an Ethereal Gem. Also, you lose a random removable Magic Debuff if possible.
- Shimmering Soul: You gain an Ethereal Gem.
- This Buff also passively grants Magical Mind and Flow Of Magic. This part of the effect is not related to the Effects Phase.
- Each minion summoned (or upgraded) with Army Of The Dead initially activates on the 3rd Effects Phase after being summoned (or upgraded) (or due to Command Undead.) It then activates every 6 Effects Phases (beginning on the 6th Effects Phase after the initial activation.) (If unsummoned and resummoned/reupgraded, a minion once again initially activates on the 3rd Effects Phase after being summoned (or upgraded), then begins the 6 Effects Phase cycle.)
- You can use 4 Soul Power to activate Undead Haste for the rest of the game. This option changes the amount of Effects Phases between activations for all of your Army Of The Dead minions from 6 to 5.
- A newly summoned (or upgraded) minion after activating Undead Haste will still activate initially on the 3rd Effects Phase after being summoned (or upgraded) before commencing with the 5 Effects Phase cycle.
- A currently summoned minion when Undead Haste is activated will not be affected by Undead Haste until after that minion's next activation in the Effects Phase (or due to Command Undead.)
- If the Class Talent is active: Choose to use the Talent. Then, target any player.
- If the target is alive or you have less than 2 Soul Power: Nothing occurs besides the Talent option being reset and going on cooldown for 7 turns.
- If the target is Dead and you have at least 2 Soul Power: Revive the target, give them Volatile Zombie, and lose 2 Soul Power. Also, the Talent option is reset and goes on cooldown for 7 turns.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The described 6 Effects Phase cycle for minions will instead be a 7 turn cycle if you have only have 1 enemy player in your game. Also, Undead Haste will change the cycle from 7 to 6 instead of 6 to 5.
- The amount of stored Soul Power and the Class Talent's current cooldown are visible in this skill's tooltip.
- After choosing the Talent option, you cannot choose the minion or Undead Haste options until you have targeted a player.
- The Talent option's "cooldown" is not considered to be a skill cooldown by an effect like Clock or Unlabeled Can's YES WE CAN.
Event Use[edit | edit source]
- Use Army Of The Dead against the Bearded Phantom of the Archaeology Dig; if you succeed, you lose 1 Soul Power and gain the Bearded Phantom Buff for 5 turns. This effect can stack under different Buffs. (You fail if you have 0 Soul Power.)
- Bearded Phantom: When this effect wears off, a random living enemy player is attacked; if they currently have no Drain Soul Curse from you, they are Incapacitated. If they do have a Drain Soul Curse from you, they are killed.
Bearded Phantom Tooltip You have enslaved a Bearded Phantom. It will soon randomly attack an enemy player! Go Beardy go!
Triggers in X turn(s).
Command Undead[edit | edit source]
Standard Use[edit | edit source]
- If not on cooldown: Choose one minion you currently have summoned due to Army Of The Dead. Then, target an enemy player if you chose any Skeleton type or Zombie type minion, or target any player if you chose any Specter type minion. For a Skeleton or Zombie type minion, the targeted player is instantly affected as though they were a random enemy being affected by the minion in the Effects Phase. For the Specter type, the targeted player is instantly affected as though they were you being affected by the minion in the Effects Phase. Either way, the chosen minion's activation cycle for the Effects Phase is reset so that its next activation occurs in 6/7 Effects Phases (or 5/6 if Undead Haste is active.)
- If on cooldown: Use 1 Soul Power to lower this skill's cooldown by 6. (This option can be selected but does nothing if the skill is not on cooldown.)
- If the Class Talent is active: When you use Command Undead to target another player with a Skeleton or Zombie type minion, the target receives the Dark Touch effect for 3 turns.
- Dark Touch: If you die with this effect, a temporary random Undead Minion (a minion as a Buff which could be any Army Of The Dead minion) is summoned for the player who gave you this effect, and you lose this effect. The minion will have 7 Effects Phases of duration, activating first on the 1st Effects Phase after it is summoned and second on the 7th Effects Phase after it is summoned. For both activations, the minion's target will be a random other player if it's a Skeleton or Zombie variant and will be the player who gave you Dark Touch if it's a Specter variant. Dark Touch can stack under different Debuffs.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Army Of The Dead and Command Undead cannot be used to affect Dark Touch's random minion.
- Dark Touch's random minion Buff can coexist with an actual Army Of The Dead minion Buff of the same type.
- See Death Tiers for more information on effects like Dark Touch.
Inherent Effect Tooltip[edit | edit source]
Dark Touch Tooltip If you die, a random Undead Minion will spawn for PlayerName.
Duration: X turn(s)
Secret Item Interaction[edit | edit source]
This is one of the secrets of BGO.
|Frostmourne's cooldown is reduced by 2 turns, to a minimum of 1 turn.|
Playstyle[edit | edit source]
Strengths[edit | edit source]
- You can use your Necromancer skills even while Dead.
- Even if you fail in getting SP with Drain Soul, you will get +1 SP every 8 turns thanks to Master of Death.
- Skeletons have a static knockback amount, allowing for guaranteed same-spacing.
- Skeleton Thief can steal a lot of Rupees and items if summoned early enough in the game.
- Skeleton Knight's Defective Dice can prevent a huge amount of space gain by players with Empowered Dice (esp. Warlocks and Paladins) as well as players with Speed Boost, Hyper Hyper, etc. (esp. Enchanters) and potentially stall them for many turns in the endgame by lowering Command Undead's cooldown by 6 turns for 1 SP.
- Bone Mage can shut down a player who is spamming magic or prevent a revive at a key time.
- Zombies apply a slowing Disease.
- Rotting Corrupter can be used to build your minion army more quickly and store more resources for the endgame.
- Starving Ghoul can disrupt a Food stockpile.
- Specters give Ethereal Gems which can be used to make Ethereal Gloves and Spirit Slippers. The Gloves can be used to revive yourself among other uses, while the Slippers can be repeatedly brought off cooldown with new Ethereal Gems and used to sprint to the finish line.
- Chilling Ghost's Faerie Frost can prevent losing spaces with the Time Bomb, with The United Nations, with The Bear!, with Saruman, with a bad guy or with the Indian chief in The Wild West, or if you are being shot at by a player with Hypno Glasses (at the cost of dying.)
- Cleansing Spirit can remove Diseases like Gonorrhea and remove Poisons like Pufferfish Poison.
- Spectral Cleric can remove Curses and can remove Temporarily Denied when past the finish line.
- Shimmering Soul has strong magic synergy.
- The Archaeology Dig's Bearded Phantom is typically difficult to beat. Army Of The Dead is one of the few ways to do so.
- In very long games, full level minions with Undead Haste can be very strong.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Weak in early game.
- No skills for disposing of junk items like Jinxed Jewel Of Encumberment.
- Reincarnation in your Resurrection Phase can suddenly and unexpectedly cause you to become unable to act.
- If a kill opportunity suddenly pops up, using Drain Soul will cause a slight delay that can allow a player to escape danger.
- If you are slightly too slow with Drain Soul and the target dies before you use it, you'll typically have to wait 3 turns before getting another draining opportunity.
- Being constantly on the lookout for Drain Soul opportunities can take up a lot of mental resources useful for other strategizing.
- You require Boots and Gloves to make the most out of your Ethereal Gems; a Gem's utility is much more situational otherwise. For this reason, Saboteurs and Quantum Physicists can effectively counter much of Necromancer's strength. Spectral Screen can steal your Ethereal Gloves. And if you're poor enough, Warlock's Goldfiend can make it difficult for you to even purchase Boots or Gloves at The Market.
- Paladins and Priests can remove Drain Soul from themselves (and other players in the case of Paladin), and a Paladin will gain Empowered Dice.
- Lawyer's Sue can make killing another player painful. If you are not careful with counterplay, Lawyers can also use Confiscate Evidence to steal your Spirit Slippers or steal your Light Wand to prevent you from having a Revive.
- Evil Barrier and various Curses can prevent you from removing Temporarily Denied with your Spectral Cleric at a crucial moment.
- Bone Mage can be countered with Magical Mind.
- If you gain Frost Immunity to protect your Boots and Gloves, your Chilling Ghost cannot apply Faerie Frost to you.
- In an FFA game, some Skeleton and Zombie Minions require good luck to be useful without Command Undead.
- Enemy players can view your SP through your Master Of Death Buff tooltip and can also see turn counters for and the names of your Undead Minion Buffs.
- Mystic Shop can appear as a random event, in Cards Of Fate, or through the Arcane Portal in The Haunted Mansion during Halloween, giving non-Necromancers access to one of Necromancer's "more exclusive" strengths. Ethereal Gem can also be found in Reinforcements.
- If there's not enough predictable death occurring throughout a game, your endgame strength can be underwhelming.
- In very long games, space gain from Spirit Slippers can become underwhelming.
Strategies[edit | edit source]
- Being able to determine when people are going to die is important to get SP and raise your minions faster; this is especially important early game when trying to get your minion cycles up and running. Pay attention when players get in a duel, get inside of Schrödinger's Box, go inside the Pyramid, have AIDS or untreated Malaria or are Dehydrated, etc.
- Situationally, it can be a good strategy to kill yourself with ACME Rocket, ACME TNT, Dark Sacrifice or launching yourself with the Catapult while draining your own soul. You'll die, but you can kill others/move forward/apply Debuffs to enemies/gain Life Insurance/lose Diseases in addition to gaining 1 SP.
- If you think you're going to die soon and you can't prevent it (e.g. you're Dehydrated, have AIDS, have Jinxed Jewel Of Death or Pipe Bomb, are about to be the target of Diss Card: Death, etc.), drain your own soul.
- Specter's Ethereal Gem can be combined with Boots or Gloves. Ethereal Gloves can be used to revive yourself, esp. with a low cost Charged Light Wand from The Magic Shop. Spirit Slippers can be used for sprinting.
- Ethereal Gem can be used on your ACME Rocket, ACME TNT, Tome Of Hellfire, Genesis Device, Defibrillator, Hellpriest or Charged Light Wand/Orb/Staff with Revive. (Beware that the Ethereal enchantment will prevent recharging at The Magic Shop if you don't have a means to remove it (i.e. with Enchant or Balm Of Anubis.))
- If you have a Skinning Knife but are in need of Boots or Gloves, consider Tractor Beaming a Cow out of another player's inventory or drinking Liquid Luck.
- An early game Rotting Corrupter is worth creating in decently long games. Summoning this minion before summoning a Specter will let you delay using your Wildcard for Boots/Gloves/Skinning Knife while storing up SP; there is often pressure to use your first Wildcard to avoid wasting a Gem if the Specter is your first minion, though the Corrupter has potential to bypass this waste.
- Near the endgame, it is often worthwhile to unsummon a minion for SP; this can notably allow you to get more Ethereal Gems, to remove Denied with Spectral Cleric, or to knock a player back/give them Defective Dice when they're about to win.
- In a Team Game, you can hand out Ethereal Gems to every team member using Command Undead with your Specter.
- If the Adventure Time reference event is chosen, you can get an Orb for use with Shimmering Soul. Also, the Enchiridion casts Wormhole and provides all 5 Magic Crystals, which can be used with Shimmering Soul. Black Dragonling can provide Magic Crystals for use with Shimmering Soul.
- If the Dr. Who reference event is chosen, you can gain Boots and Gloves repeatedly without use of a Wildcard, so your Specter's strength is more secure. Shady Dealer being available through the Arcane Portal makes Skeleton Knight more valuable. However, Mystic Shop being available through the Arcane Portal as well as the reward for completing Dr. Who's quest can make Ethereal Gloves more accessible to non-Necromancer players in longer games.
- If the Board Game Of Thrones reference event is chosen, you can gain Boots and Gloves by becoming a Stark or become a Targaryen to have some sort of defense for your Boots and Gloves against Saboteur. If you become a Targaryen, you can also periodically get a chance to obtain a Magic Crystal from The Dragon, and if you somehow gain an Orb, it can be charged with Ancient Dragon Claw, which will have synergy with Shimmering Soul. There's also an ever so slight chance to steal a Black Dragon Egg which will grant Magic Crystals once hatched. However, Ring Of Spell Deflecting can hinder your magic usage if you are using Shimmering Soul. Also, other players can become a Stark to receive a Wolf which can Silence you.
- If the Interdimensional Portal Gun reference event is chosen, Chilling Ghost can prevent losing spaces while getting the max reward from Fantasy World, while Cleansing Spirit can remove Diabetes gained from Candy World. On Doggo World, if you have Ethereal Gloves and a revive, you can successfully steal a Doge and a Cognition Amplifier.
- Rod Of Asclepius and Sir Lancelot's Ring Of Dispel synergize well with Zombies and Drain Soul respectively. Many other Artifacts (esp. The Grim Reaper's Scythe) can help with building up Soul Power.
Dual-Class Synergies[edit | edit source]
Alchemist[edit | edit source]
- Holy Hand Grenade and Sex Bomb can be utilized for killing/setting up kills for SP.
- After gaining Skip-A-Turn from Holy Hand Grenade, you can kill yourself with ACME Rocket/Volatile Oil (gaining 1 SP) and revive yourself if you have Revive from The Magic Shop to avoid skipping a turn. If used with Ethereal Gloves while Dead, Holy Hand Grenade never has to give you Skip-A-Turn in the first place, and ACME Rocket won't kill you.
- Perverted Corpse can be utilized for spreading Diseases with Sex Bomb (with your Cleansing Spirit removing your own Diseases if you affect yourself.)
- Transmute can dispose of junk items like Jinxed Jewel Of Encumberment, covering one of Necromancer's weaknesses.
Assassin[edit | edit source]
- Killer Instincts and Drain Soul can each give a reward for your kills. Assassinate and Sprint as well as Skeleton minions are useful for killing.
- Killer Instincts Speed Boost, Sprint, and Spirit Slippers are key for sprinting, with Evasion also helping.
Druid[edit | edit source]
- In short enough games, Druid + Necromancer can sprint to the finish exceptionally quickly as long as you drain enough souls. Shapeshift, Bear Form, and Snake Form (and even Crow and Wolf Form) are useful for killing.
- Shapeshift, Crow Form, Wolf Form, and Spirit Slippers are key for sprinting.
- Skeleton Knight pairs well with Entangling Roots.
- With Crow Form and Shimmering Soul, you have access to Floating and Flow Of Magic for creation of Blue RainBOW (alongside a Lightning Rod from The Engineering Shop.)
Enchanter[edit | edit source]
- Shimmering Soul, Condense Magic, and Magic Affinity synergize well together.
- Condense Magic can be used for draining Souls with various Dark Crystal spells, Night Crystal's Cursed Wounds, and Happy Crystal's Weaponize and Detonation, among other spells.
- Instead of Condensing a Dark Crystal for Light Scroll: Revive, you can combine a Dark Crystal with an Ethereal Gem to make a Soulstone, saving you 8 turns of cooldown.
- Arcane Relocation can be used for same-spacing for kills.
- Enchant can be used for protection of your Ethereal Gloves and Spirit Slippers.
- Condense Magic can dispose of junk items like Jinxed Jewel Of Encumberment, covering one of Necromancer's weaknesses.
- If you get the Enchant Talent, you will be able to use Ethereal Dagger for killing while you are alive.
Merchant[edit | edit source]
- You can use Trade Routes to repeatedly go to The Magic Shop for Revives (for use with with Ethereal Gloves or to revive and kill a player) and other spells to use with Shimmering Soul. (Beware that Flow Of Magic can interfere with killing a revived enemy player.)
- With Banking and Trade Routes, ACME Magnet, ACME Rocket, Explosive Sheep, Hand Grenade, Spider Mine, and ACME TNT are items which you can more easily access for SP.
Paladin[edit | edit source]
- You can use Divine Blessing to remove Drain Soul or Zombie Infection and gain Empowered Dice. Perverted Corpse and Drain Soul can together apply 3 Curses/Diseases in quick succession that can be removed for 3 stacks of Empowered Dice at once if you have the Divine Blessing Talent, granting a D6 that can be used alongside a Soulstone to build a Tesseract; Soulstone itself can be built using Specter's Ethereal Gem alongside a random Dark Crystal.
- A Skeleton minion can be used to hit a player onto your space so you can knock them back with your Holy Hammer.
- Divine Blessing and Spirit Slippers are both useful for sprinting.
Quantum Physicist[edit | edit source]
- Exiting Schrodinger's Box presents a 50/50 Drain Soul opportunity.
- With the Box's Death Immunity, you can more readily "die" to drain yourself (though Drain Soul's cooldown won't be reset.)
- You can revive yourself with Ethereal Gloves when you die exiting the Box.
Saboteur[edit | edit source]
- Tinker (esp. with Sabotage) can be used to create Mechanical items such as Lightsabers which can be used to kill and gain Soul Power. Hinder can be used along with a Skeleton minion to assist in this endeavor. Sabotage can prevent Shields and spell protection items from preventing kills as well.
- If another player has Rocket Boots, you can Sabo-Tinker them; this can be particularly useful if you are missing some form of Boots, such as if your previous pair of Boots was destroyed/stolen. You could also replace a Frozen pair.
- Tinker can dispose of junk items like Jinxed Jewel Of Encumberment, covering one of Necromancer's weaknesses.
- Burning Abomination can be used to burn an item made Highly Flammable by Sabotage while Hinder's Fire is still recharging or if Hinder's Fire somehow failed the first go-round.
Sorcerer[edit | edit source]
- Shimmering Soul synergizes well with Mysticality.
Warlock[edit | edit source]
- For your own deaths and kills, Skull Collector and Drain Soul can each give a reward. You can Drain yourself when you die to Chaotic Power. Demon Fairy alongside a Gun can be used for kills.
- Spectral Cleric can remove your Curses from Call Demon.
- Call Demon can produce Hellpriests that you can use to revive yourself alongside Ethereal Gloves or simply Ethereal Gems.